The Art Group began 30+ years ago under the auspices of Dorothy Beckwith who wanted to support local amateur artists (in St Davids / Solva / 10-mile radius of same) by providing a regular meeting and the opportunity to paint together and offer support / help as paintings were developed. The Group also had a yearly exhibition in St Davids to show their work. Both these aspects of the group are thriving today. Membership numbers are about 25 and are mainly limited to this because of the venues we have been able to meet in. .
So, what are the benefits of joining this Art Group?
• Weekly meetings on a Monday morning at the Solva Football Clubhouse. The opportunity to paint with fellow members, enjoying the support and informal sharing thoughts / ideas/ experience in a relaxed environment. Following the easing of lockdown measures, in May 2021, we are able to meet in a Covid Safe setting, up to 15 members at a time.
• We invite professional artists come for the day and demonstrate their style and techniques. The group pay for these and they happen 3-4 times a year depending on availability and funds.
• We have two selling art exhibitions a year, where members can exhibit their work to the general public. The summer exhibition is held the first two weeks in August at the St Davids City Hall. The spring exhibition has had various venues depending on venue availability.
• We have a website informing everyone about our activities. We also have Facebook and Instagram accounts and use these social media platforms to advertise our exhibitions. Each member can also have a dedicated page on the website to show their work, linking to own websites, if they have one, or other social media links.
So, what are the contributions members offer the group?
As ever, a group is only as good as its members and the contribution they make to running the group. We have a committee including Chair, Secretary, Treasurer and officers for each aspect e.g., membership, exhibition, website etc. Approximately 8-10 members help in this way and positions are held for a few years and then someone else replaces. Members are expected to take their share of these positions. Everyone choosing to exhibit is expected to help in the setting up and taking down of the exhibition as well as stewarding sessions. When considering joining the group it would be really helpful to see what areas you might be able to help us with and indeed take forward. In particular, we need help with the website and the social media side of things.
What does it all cost?
There is an annual subscription due in January and the amount is set yearly by the committee. The last 2 years it has been set at £70.00. This covers the following costs:
• Weekly rental of the Football Clubhouse in Solva
• Rental of exhibition space in the summer at St Davids City Hall and the Spring Exhibition, (wherever we can rent).
• Artist fees for the Demonstration days usually 3-4 per year.
• Costs related to insurance for exhibition, weekly group meetings.
• Website and webhosting costs.
How to apply?
Please write in the first instance to our membership secretary, expressing your interest in joining and where possible tell us a bit about any painting experience you have and what contribution, if any, you feel you could offer. We will then invite you to join a few of our Monday group meetings (at no cost) to come meet the group and get a feel of whether we can meet your expectations. If, after a few visits, you wish to continue to apply please contact our Membership Secretary - see below.
Please send you application to: -
By letter: - Mrs Mary Edey, Membership Secretary, St Davids & Solva Art Group, 87 Nun Street, St Davids SA62 6NU,
or by email: - email@example.com